Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Greenhouse heating question

On Dec 28 2009, 10:42*pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
Bench heating, aka root zone heating.http://preview.tinyurl.com/yz7qnq5ht...rl.com/yjpwdfy

which are the long, fractured URLs below:

http://www.rngr.net/Publications/fnn...rsery-notes-2/
2007-winter-forest-nursery-notes/root-zone-heating-can-save-energy-by-
reducing-needs/file

http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/Notebo...ng_Underbench_...
ing_Systems_by_Bartok.pdf

http://www.umass.edu/umext/floricult...reenhouse_mana
gement/jb_root_zone_heat.htm

I've done similar with 3-4 gallon container plants with homemade
heating jackets, simple 1/4" plywood boxes that house the
container and a heat source. A single 7.5 watt light bulb on a
dimmer is all that I need to keep a pot at an optimal 75 - 80
degrees F even if room temperature drops into the 50s. Plants
given such a cozy set of overshoes thrive, even at 60F air
temperature.