Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Plumbago - dead or sleeping?

On 2010-01-04 01:06:27 +0000, Timothy Murphy said:

I have 2 plumbago plants that both flowered well in the summer,
and well into the autumn.
But both now look very dead.

Is that the normal look of a plumbago in winter?
If so, should I cut it back severely?

In a greenhouse or conservatory or outside?

Outside - in the snow at the moment.
Isn't plumbago reasonably hardy?
Should admit that this is in Tuscany;
the winter is usually a bit milder than the UK, but not much.

It's not sold as hardy in UK, though in some sheltered and
well-drained gardens, it will take temps to around -6C. I thought
Tuscan winters could be very cold? But apart from the cold, your
problems could arise when the snow melts and saturates its roots,
because they do need good drainage. But I'd leave them until spring
has really got going and see what happens. They might come back from
the base, x fingers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com