Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default 'twas New Year's Day

On 2010-01-03 15:56:11 +0000, "Spider" said:
snip
Also, many bulbs were pushing through. However, the snowdrops were
showing
no sign of bud, which is very late here.
Other colour was provided by berries, haws, (Pyracantha, Cotoneaster,
Roses); bark (Betula, Cornus) and some vivid leaf colour (Heuchera,
Euonymus, Cyclamen, Hedera).

Sorry I'm late with this - forgot to come out of hibernation. Brrr!

That's a really impressive list, especially given the weather. BTW,
for
these purposes and for making notes on the nursery, I have a little
Olympus note taker and find it invaluable. It's a tiny handheld
dictaphone thingy called a digital voice recorder.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

That's a really good idea, Sacha. I used to wish I had one when studying
spiders in the field, but was forced to change my mind. So many people
would approach me whilst walking their dog and ask what I was doing (with
magnifying loupes, notebook and pen and spider guide) that it seemed
likely
I would end up with a tape (in those days!) full of enquiring chat, and
not
much about the relative eye patterns and leg lengths of assorted spiders.
Sorry, Sacha, I know s-words aren't your thing!

However, (returns to gardening) it would be very useful for gardening. I
could note where there's a bare patch in need of Triffida robusta to add
interest and eat the burglars ... and, as you imply, rules out trying to
write with icicle-bedecked fingers. Mmm .. feels a visit to Staples
coming
on.

Spider

Because we grow most of our own plants, they're not in A-Z rows, coming in
one door and being kerchinged out the other. So up on the mypex right at
the top of the Nursery, which slopes a bit, the perennials are arranged
according to how much drainage they want, how much shade and of course,
where there's space! Once everything's potted on and up there, I go out
and make a list of where everything is so that if any of us are running up
there to find things for customers we know immediately where they are.
This is especially handy to the part-timers. And in the garden, it
enables me to make myself a little aide memoire as to where there's a hole
that needs filling with some plant or other, or if something looks a bit
straggly or sick or whatever.
It's also a wonderful grandchild entertainer. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

It sounds brilliant for all sorts of inventories and such. I haven't got
grandchildren to entertain, but I begin to imagine all sorts of other uses.
RG says that most mobile phones have some sort of voice recorder these days,
so I'll have to investigate mine. It's a few years old now, so it may not.
Also, don't know what the playback quality will be, but we can check his
more modern phone out first before replacing mine. Pity really, I was
beginning to fancy a new toy, but at least I should always have the mobile
with me. It's given me something to think about, anyway.

Spider