Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default What a grey day...

wrote in message
In article ,
K wrote:

As someone who travels locally on foot more often than by car, I'm not
too fussed about anything that means drivers drive more slowly.

Even it it makes it much more difficult to cross roads on foot?

In what way do slower cars make it more difficult to cross roads?

Because it makes it much more likely that there is a continuous
stream of moving traffic, with no gaps adequate for crossing.
Pedestrians then have to take more risks, or use a car to cross
the road where it is infeasible or dangerous on foot. And, yes,
that is fairly common - especially for the less athletic.

On another response, the evidence that lowering speed limits
reduces the number of accidents is so flawed as to be worthless.
It may, but it is also possible that it increases them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have a village here on the Isle of Wight with the main road from Sandown
to Newport running through it. I would say 80% of the houses etc are on one
side of said main road. A couple of years ago the speed limit was lowered to
30. There is now a very slow stream going through the village and vehicles
waiting to get out into the stream or across it, can wait for ages. For
them, a bad move.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk