Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Toms and grow bags.

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:19:00 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

[...]

What do you sterilise the soil with?

I can't tell you that, I'm afraid. It's still available on-line
though. You're supposed to use it for sterilising pots and hard
surfaces.

Of course, if you really sterilise your glass very thoroughly and you
put your pots on the soil and sterilise them very thoroughly it is
inevitable but some of the sterilant must reach the soil.

What's wrong with telling him it's (presumably) Jeyes Fluid? Just
because it's not an approved method any more doesn't in any sense limit
your freedom of speech, or constrain what he does in his own garden if
it doesn't contaminate the environment or produce for other people.

I recommend very cheap black buckets (from Aldi, for example) for
tomatoes, with big drainage holes and half the contents of a growbag in
each. (Leave the handles on.) I have a feeling that growbags are too
shallow to give a cool root run, though I may be quite wrong.

I _do_ feel sure, though, that three tomato plants is too many for a
bag, unless one's wet-nursing is of textbook standard. Growbags are, in
my experience, definitely the cheapest way to buy in growing medium in
smaller quantities, but the stuff varies a lot in quality: sadly, I've
found the peat-free ones to be the worst, but I'm prepared to put up
with that. They're a nice size for a golden oldie like me to handle, as
well.

--
Mike.