Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default John Cushnie dies

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Wot ho, Anne.
Report on progress - the hop had enough cones last year to make about
a bottle of beer.
High hopes for this year innit.
Good news, that she survived the trip south. Let me know when you get
a good brew going, and I'll be down for a sample! ;-)

I might even bring some of "Scotland's Finest" with me...
Haggis?

Got any seeds?

If anyone has any seeds for haggis I would love some!

Try this then:

Get a lamb's pluck. (Sheep's pluck is better, but your butcher may not be
able to get one)

Halve the liver and set one half aside (after safe removal of the gall
bladder!) If you use the whole liver, your haggis will taste of little
else.

Chop lights, heart and one half-liver and place in a saucepan with four or
more peeled, quartered onions.

Simmer for a couple of hours.

Remove pluck parts from the broth and mince them. You may mince the onions
too, but some recipes don't mention this.

Mix the minced pluck and onions (if used) in a basin. Add a tablespoon of
black peppercorns, ground, about a quarter to half a nutmeg, scraped, a
tablespoon of thyme and powdered rosemary.

Salt is traditional, but I leave this out.

Stir in a pound of chopped suet (that from round the sheep's kidneys is
best, but beef suet will do. ('Vegetable suet' is hydrogenised - i.e. -
trans-fat, and I eschew it as unhealthy...)

Add a pound of medium oatmeal - the haggs holds together better than with
pinhed. Stir together, moistening with the broth left from cooking the
pluck.

The pudding should be about the consistency of rock cake mix.

Put into greased basins, cover with foil and steam or simmer in shallow
water for about two hours - unless you're using silly little basins, that
is.

Thanks, will might try it one day, if I can remember!(:-)

Alan