Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes[_2_] June Hughes[_2_] is offline

Default Colder and colder

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-01-05 11:36:55 +0000, June Hughes said:

snip
I hope you have plenty of provisions, Sacha. My 93-year-old
neighbour died a couple of months ago and I used to have his key
for the help-line organisation (an excellent service). When he
died, his children told me I could have what I liked from the house
and I decided to have his paraffin heater. It's a really old one
but has a spare wick and has been well maintained. You don't get
them like that nowadays. I also had his wooden-handled shovel.
Its handle was all wet and soggy when I got it but it has dried
out a treat. You don't get too many of those nowadays either. I
am looking forward to putting a few seeds in the greenhouse and
lighting up the heater in February. It will remind me of him, as well as being very useful.
Nice, cosy sort of memories, too. Do you oil the handle?

snip
You seem all prepared for being snowed in, Sacha. I haven't oiled
the handle of the shovel but now you have said that, I shall do so.
It has only just dried out and I don't want it to rot.

Or split, if it's enjoying being dry for the first time in a while!

Thanks for the warning. I shall go and do it immediately.
--
June Hughes