Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mo Bowman

On 1/5/2010 2:06 AM, Mo Leo wrote:
Hi...... As you can see I have never asked a question before so not too
sure I am doing this right !!!!!!! My question is:

I have a log burning stove and would like to know if I can put the burnt
ash on the garden and if so are there any plants that do not like this?

Thanks
Mo

Wood ash is an excellent source of potassium, one of the three main
nutrients needed by plants. However, it is also quite alkaline. Don't
use it if your soil is already alkaline or use it on acid-loving plants
(e.g., camellia, azalea, gardenia, rose, blueberry).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean