Old 05-01-2010, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Garden Visitors

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"mark" wrote ...
For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of
Fieldfares in the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit
of research to identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have
taken some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I
collected a carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the
ground about 15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with
camera. For the first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After
a while a solitary fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased
off by the blackbirds. Eventually I got my shots, but the light was
failing by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in
the next few days.

We were sitting in the car about 2 hours ago waiting at some level
crossing gates when we noticed some thrush like birds eating the
pyracantha berries right next to us in an office car park. At first
glance I thought they were Fieldfares then I realised they were
Redwings neither of which have I ever seen in this area before.
We have noticed lots of "thrush" like birds with spotted breasts around
here lately, I'll have to take more notice.

They come regularly from colder parts of Europe - esp. Scandinavia. What
beautiful additions they are to our landscapes and gardens. I suspect
they may push on seeking somewhere less like home if this weather keeps
on. There's no snow in Sacha's area (yet?) so sheltered parts of Devon,
Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly may well have more than normal. They
love windfalls and can get a bit tipsyish sometimes:-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
N. Dorset