Old 05-01-2010, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Garden Visitors

On 2010-01-05 15:57:04 +0000, "Ophelia" said:

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of Fieldfares
in the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit of research
to identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have
taken some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I
collected a carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the
ground about 15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with
camera. For the first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After a
while a solitary fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased off
by the blackbirds. Eventually I got my shots, but the light was failing
by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in
the next few days.

I had to look up 'fieldfares'. I hadn't heard of them. Hurry up with
those piccies, mark

--

I've heard of them but I don't think I've ever seen them. I wonder if
they congregate round here. I saw a jay about 100 yards from our place