Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Garden Visitors

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"mark" wrote ...
For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of Fieldfares in
the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit of research to
identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have taken
some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I collected a
carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the ground about
15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with camera. For the
first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After a while a solitary
fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased off by the blackbirds.
Eventually I got my shots, but the light was failing by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in the
next few days.

We were sitting in the car about 2 hours ago waiting at some level
crossing gates when we noticed some thrush like birds eating the
pyracantha berries right next to us in an office car park. At first glance
I thought they were Fieldfares then I realised they were Redwings neither
of which have I ever seen in this area before.
We have noticed lots of "thrush" like birds with spotted breasts around
here lately, I'll have to take more notice.

We seem to be getting unusual 'thrush size' visitors as well.

Saw a redwing (female, I think) for the first time in the back garden.
Next day we saw a Greater Spotted Woodpecker.

Perhaps we are becoming more aware, but normally we have loads of blackbirds
and the occasional thrush.