Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Olive seeds (stones)

Rusty Hinge wrote:
graham wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

[...]

If you want olives, you need to grow from seed, and when the
seedling is large enough, graft or bud from a fruiting tree.

Citrus fruits take 20 - 30 years to fruit as maiden trees:

So I might as well chuck out the 5 year old "tree" that I grew from
seed? Graham

No. Find someone with a fruiting citrus tree and beg a cutting or bud,
and amalgamate them.

The tissue from the fruitig tree will itself be programmed to fruit. I
have a five-foot lemon tree grown from seed. and that will soon be
festooned with limes, lemons, oranges and the rest.

Does that apply to all citrus? My little indoor lemon tree, bought a
couple of years ago in fruit, has a trunk about 3/4" in base diameter,
and doesn't look grafted: it's got about 40 fruits on it now. I've got
some calamondin and kumquat seeds coming on, and I can't promise to live
another 20-30 years!

--
Mike.