Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes[_2_] June Hughes[_2_] is offline

Default Colder and colder

In message , Pete C
writes

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes
It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this morning. We
had the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I
thought someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the
corner of one of the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief
while and now it's clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm
sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I hope you have plenty of provisions, Sacha. My 93-year-old neighbour
died a couple of months ago and I used to have his key for the
help-line organisation (an excellent service). When he died, his
children told me I could have what I liked from the house and I
decided to have his paraffin heater. It's a really old one but has a
spare wick and has been well maintained. You don't get them like
that nowadays. I also had his wooden-handled shovel. Its handle was
all wet and soggy when I got it but it has dried out a treat. You
don't get too many of those nowadays either. I am looking forward to
putting a few seeds in the greenhouse and lighting up the heater in
February. It will remind me of him, as well as being very useful.

That's nice. Hopefully, he'll be looking down smiling

If he is, he's probably thinking 'silly old bat' but it's a nice
thought. Thanks Pete.

I have taken Sacha's advice and oiled the handle of the shovel.
--
June Hughes