Old 18-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Michael Saunby

Default Education: UK

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

as I grow older I realise that I should have stuck to the arts side, i

could
happily and blathered my way through with no real effort.
Science tends to be hard work and on a strict cost benefit analysis you

will
note that you often get a similar sort of job with a arts/humanities

degree
as you do with a science

You are correct.

What's more the kids have spotted this, hence the significant reductions
in science/maths applications and the rise of media studies.

It was always so. The scientific civil service was always regarded as the
domain of the working class within the civil service. The difference today
is that with the growth in fashion, media, retailing, etc. there are
opportunities for working/lower-middle class graduates with humanities
degrees. There probably still aren't many openings for them in banking,
government, etc. though.

Michael Saunby