Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Fight! Fight! Fight!

Sacha writes
On 2010-01-07 11:10:10 +0000, K said:
AND we had to take a morning walk, before breakfast, about a mile
through the grounds and a mile back. There was a prefect there to
ensure you did it, too. When I was one of the younger ones, I *hated*
those prefects and then when I became a prefect I realised we had to
get up earlier than everyone else to be there on time! I think we
probably set off at about 0715 - hellish! Luckily, it was dropped for
the winter terms after a few viciously cold days (pre 1963) and
probably some danger of broken limbs on the ice.

We lived opposite the junior departments of one of the public schools.
Every morning (if we were up early enough) we'd see all these tiny girls
streaming out of one of the gates, running along the road to go back
through the far distant gate and back through the grounds. Still, I've
just read an account of the Lygons (the local aristocracy where Sacha
was at school), and their children allegedly had to swim either in an
outdoor unheated pool or in the sea, every single day all the year
round. So, relatively speaking, you were lucky, Sacha :-)
--
Kay