Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Garden Visitors

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of Fieldfares in
the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit of research to
identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have taken
some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I collected a
carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the ground about
15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with camera. For the
first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After a while a solitary
fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased off by the blackbirds.
Eventually I got my shots, but the light was failing by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in the
next few days.

I had to look up 'fieldfares'. I hadn't heard of them. Hurry up with
those piccies, mark

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/DSC_0277.jpg

Fieldfare getting all territorial over the feeding area.
According to my book they are supposed to feed in flocks during the winter
but this one wasn't letting any other bird near the food.
When it eventually left the blackbirds were a bit more into sharing, but not
much.