Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Fight! Fight! Fight!

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
I believe, Sacha, that birds can manage to 'drink' by eating snow. Their
real problem with water freezing is that they can't bathe and clean their
feathers. This means they can't insulate themselves properly against the
cold and are more likely to perish. I try and keep a large tray of water
ice-free, specially for bathing.

snip

When the temperatures are sub-zero all day how do you manage this?
Do you go out every couple of hours with hot water to refresh their bath?

Now wondering how birds can bathe in sub-zero temperatures - won't the
water freeze on their feathers?

I refresh it as often as possible and use a float. I suppose the other
option is sand, which they love to 'bathe' in, but one's still got to keep
it free of snow. Not easy in this weather.
Spider