Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Mushrooms Anyone?

On Jan 7, 9:09*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

ews.com...

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:35:39 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

I know of a good many people who have tried the morel
kits and have failed

Why is that? Is it the quality of the kit, the difficulty of starting
this variety, or something else?

There are about 70 different species in the genus Morchella. Many are
symbiotic with other plant species. The only one that I know of that is not
{and consequently reasonably easy to grow to fruiting (at least for 1
season)} is the burn site morel. Kits have been sold for many years, but I'm
still doubtful of the success rate. The average gardener should pick
something easy and proven like oyster mushrooms, etc., etc...
Steve

That's encouraging. The morels I bought are supposed to grow best on a
burn site according to the booklet that came with the spawn, so that's
probably what I have. I worked a lot of ashes and oak chips into the
soil before innoculating, as advised by the booklet and various
Internet sites.

Paul