Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default sweet potato slips

MW wrote:
Thx for this. I might order some from Thompson & Morgan. They're doing
multi-variety packs at the mo.

I got one of those 2 years ago. Instead of 3 varieties they sent 2 with
a double pack of one type, due to lack of supply. I was a bit miffed.

We're in Essex and FWIW we do generally have a dry and reasonably
lengthy summer, so maybe less of a problem than elsewhere. And slugs
haven't really been problematic on our potatoes.

We did ours in Essex. In hindsight, we should have given them more water.
We planted through black plastic and kept it on all season. Can't remember
when we put them out. Nick says we put them out May/June, but we should
have put them out earlier. They only grew to quite small and we didn't have
a massive crop.
I think we're going to try again this year.

What do you reckon about planting out time? Same as maincrop spuds?

Depends on how warm your soil is!