Old 18-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Valkyrie

Default Water from a drainage stream for irrigation

You need to check into local/state regulations about that. I know in many
areas it is illegal to take water from streams and lakes for irrigation or
domestic use. You can make a call to your county offices to check it out. If
it is unlawful, just remember if you are busted the agencies have little
tolerance for the excuse of ignorance.

Val

plantkiller wrote in message
Just thinking of trying an idea and would like some opinions.

There is a stream right off the back of my house, about 50 feet
away.....stream is normally about 6 - 8 inches deep but swells to
8 - 10 feet high during severe thunderstorms.

We've had a drought in Maryland for the past several years (who
hasn't) and have had water restrictions in place....(still have even
during a very wet spring).

If I placed a 5 gallon bucket in a hole in the stream, punched holes
high in the side of the bucket, allowing it to fill with water and
using landscape fabric around the bucket holes to filter out debris
and sand. Running a hose to a sprinkler or sprinkler system...

Would this setup work and what type of pump (electric) would be
most suitable for drawing the water up through the hose and creating
enough pressure (15psi with a regulator) to keep the sprinklers
working.

Note: the stream is too far away for convenient electrical access so
the pump would have to draw water through about 35 feet of hose.

Looking to keep this very "temporary setup on demand type of
operation.

Your thoughts ???

Thanks !!!!