Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Pruning a new Maple

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:06:09 -0800 (PST), Michael D
wrote:

In October I planted a Norway Maple (Acer Platinoides). The central
shoot of the tree had already been pruned by the nursery (a reputable
online company). There are now about 5 shoots growing from the top
(see he http://bit.ly/4C28vF). It shows the 5 shoots and the
remnants of the central shoot. The part of the tree in the photo is
probably a bit over 4 feet high.

2 questions:

1. Do I need to do anything to treat the remnants of the central
brunch, to stop it rotting / deteriorating?

2. There are 5 shoots coming out at the top. Should I prune a couple
of them out to allow the others room to grow into main branches?

Michael

I would leave well alone. The leader has been pruned out to make it
bushy, but Norway Maple is a big tree and pruning will not stop that.

Pam in Bristol

In Canada, maples are *never* pruned until after the Spring sap has stopped
flowing, late June at the earliest in this area. Is this the same for
Norway and other Acers in the UK?
Graham

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4762 (20100111) __________

http://www.eset.com