Old 13-01-2010, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Shitake Yield Questions

In article
,
Pavel314 wrote:

This is related to my mushroom post of a few days ago. I'm growing
shitake mushrooms in oak log segments which are roughly 18" in
diameter and 9" high. This is about 1.3 cubic feet of wood. That's a
lot of wood to be turned into mushrooms; how long should I expect it
to keep producing fruit? And about how many pounds or ounces will it
yield in total? I know the answers depend on a lot of variables, but I
was just curious as to round number estimates.

Thanks,

Paul

I can't help you too much. A few years ago we wrote about mushroom
culture here and I was recommended this book.

Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms.
By Paul Stamets.

isbn-10: 1-58008-175-4

has MUCH info on SHITAKE AKA LENTINULA EDODES (BERKELEY) PEGLER

Book is a bit too much for my little brain but perhaps as a reference
and a visit to your local library.

Bill who buys rooms and gathers them from my back yard .

ps Beautiful book and I am glad you are venturing there.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/757.html What is Global Dimming??
Less light more shade world wide food implications
Reduction of Vitamin D too?