Old 14-01-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default snowing again

On 14 Jan, 08:28, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

I lived in E. Sussex when I was young, we had snow chains etc and 3
times in 10 years had to dig our way out through drifts of 8 to 10 ft
to get to the local village.

So did I Dave, born and brought up between Rye and Hastings. Lived there
until I finally left home, after college, at the age of 20. Whereabouts were
you?

I can remember the snow of 1947 and again bad snow in 1958 or (1959?).
Probably before you time though.

Jennifer - now in Bristol

In 1947 we were living in North wales and I remember walking along the
beach breaking the Ice.
Re Hastings, we lived on a lane that lead from the Ridge to Westfield
called Stonestile Lane.
I used to cycle to go fishing in Breed River.
Where about were you Jennifer?

Judith, Re the dahlias, I have my doubts as the ground was frozen when
the snow fell so it will have held the cold in, but they were ones I
didn't need, but was hopeing to lift and sell the tubers.
Such is life
David Hill