Old 15-01-2010, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
YvonneD YvonneD is offline

Default Should I remove leaf?

On Jan 14, 11:24*am, K Barrett wrote:
YvonneD wrote:
I have a new flower spike coming out under a large leaf. *It will have
a long way to grow around the leaf before it can start growing
vertically. *Should I remove the leaf? *The plant has four leaves and
this is the biggest. *All leaves are very healthy.

On another note - every orchid I've ever bought in a nursery always
has two flower spikes. *With all of my plants and the many times they
have bloomed I have never had more than one per plant. *How do they do
it?

Thanks

The second question, they force them with ideal feeding schedules, light
and warmth to delay the blooming then they drop the temps to normal
range and the fattened plant just can help but throw multiple spikes.
This also throws off the plant's natural metabolism. Takes a awhile to
get it to bloom again on a normal schedule under normal conditions.

K Barrett

Thanks for answers.