Old 15-01-2010, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default good source of terracotta pots

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:39:49 -0000, "Kathy McIntosh"
wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
I need a fair number of the above to plant up in a gravelled area. any
suggestions as to an economical source, or would I be better purchasing
from local sources?

Do you want them frost-resistant or frostproof? It's always worth
checking the labels.

What is the difference between resistant and proof? I would like to know as
I have to get a new pot for our parents grave. The last one succumbed after
18 months, but I think it cracked under the force of the solid ice filling
rather than just frost.

You can make terracotta pots resistant to frost by painting about two
inch down the inside and outside with polyurethane varnish. The
varnish must soak into the terracotta. I have some varnish treated
pots that have survived winters for over 10 years.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.