Old 16-01-2010, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default Pruning a new Maple

On 12 Jan, 18:24, Rod wrote:
On 10 Jan, 21:06, Michael D wrote:

In October I planted a Norway Maple (Acer Platinoides). *The central
shoot of the tree had already been pruned by the nursery (a reputable
online company). *T

What on earth did they do that for?????????
Norway Maple is a*big* tree and as such looks better as a specimen if
the central leader is left in - but then you need a park to grow it
in.

I will admit to thinking the same thing. I wish nurseries would leave
the purchaser to decide whether they want things hacking about. I
specifically ordered some apple trees some time ago to grow tall, and
they came mutilated in this manner.