Old 17-01-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default a real challenge

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:46:20 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

"Private" wrote in message
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while ago
back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

It would help if she could pin down the time of year, so we can consider the
flowering season. As the others have said, possibly Crocosmia 'Lucifer' (or
similar cultivar), or Schizostylus coccinea 'Major'. The Crocosmias are
generally late summer flowering. Schizostylus is autumn flowering. Dierama
is a possibility, but I don't know of one with red flowers; they tend to be
pinks and purples.

Do google on both the above and, if it's not one of these, ask your wife if
she can describe how 'hers' were different. We will then keep thinking.

Spider

My first thought was schizostylis, but as Spider says, it depends on
the time of year. Also, I wouldn't call those flowers "tiny". and
they are more "red" than the common montbretia/crocosmia which are
orange.

Pam in Bristol