Old 17-01-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Private[_2_] Private[_2_] is offline

Default a real challenge

On 16/01/2010 22:24, Spider wrote:
wrote in message
It's the wife, thanks for your help but I don't recognise any of the
pictures. I will keep looking.I can't remember when I saw it in flower.

Hi again .. please scroll down till you find my reply .. hope you understand
when you read it :~)

Spider

On 16/01/2010 18:46, Spider wrote:
wrote in message
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while
ago
back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

It would help if she could pin down the time of year, so we can consider
the
flowering season. As the others have said, possibly Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
(or
similar cultivar), or . I 'Major'. The Crocosmias are
generally late summer flowering. Schizostylus is autumn flowering.
Dierama
is a possibility, but I don't know of one with red flowers; they tend to
be
pinks and purples.

Do google on both the above and, if it's not one of these, ask your wife
if
she can describe how 'hers' were different. We will then keep thinking.

Spider

Hello 'Private's' Wife,

Before we talk plants, I wonder if I could suggest that you 'bottom post',
because newsgroups post differently to ordinary email, so the discussion can
get out of order if you 'top post'. Hope you don't mind. Thanks. :~)

So far, we've all (I believe) assumed that 'your' long thin leaves sprang
from the base of the plant, rather like a daffodil. Do you remember if this
is correct?
Do you retain any sense of (roughly) how many individual flowers there are
at the end of the stalk? Single? 3 or 4? A spike, such as in a bluebell -
tho' not necessarily nodding?, or a form of panicle (or corymb), as in cow
parsley or hydrangea.
Was the 'red' flower truly red, as in 'pillar box' or 'scarlet' or was it
more crimson?
Was the shape of the flower trumpet-like, bell-like, daisy-like, or a
broad-petalled cup as in a buttercup or anemone, .. or .. your own
discription?
Anything you can add to the original description may help.
In the meantime, two other red-flowering plants that spring to mind
(although they're inclined to be tender), are Sprekelia formosissima or
Nerine sardenensis.

Spider

Apologies for not bottom posting, it is the first time I have been on a
newsgroup.
The long thin leaves do spring from the base of the plant. There are
long stems also coming from the base where there little reddish orange
flowers at the end of the stem. It has been a while since I saw this
plant. I think the flowers are tiny and sort of hang of the stem (like a
bleeding heart) but the petals are a diffent style and much smaller.
There is a house in our road that has one in their front flower bed but
as I am in a plaster cast and on a zimmer frame I can't go and see it
for myself to get a photograph. My husband has been out and come back
with a photo of a plant but it is the wrong one.

I do appreciate your time and patience.