Old 17-01-2010, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default a real challenge

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:01:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Private contains these words:

Apologies for not bottom posting, it is the first time I have been on a
newsgroup.
The long thin leaves do spring from the base of the plant. There are
long stems also coming from the base where there little reddish orange
flowers at the end of the stem. It has been a while since I saw this
plant. I think the flowers are tiny and sort of hang of the stem (like a
bleeding heart) but the petals are a diffent style and much smaller.
There is a house in our road that has one in their front flower bed but
as I am in a plaster cast and on a zimmer frame I can't go and see it
for myself to get a photograph. My husband has been out and come back
with a photo of a plant but it is the wrong one.

It's in flower now? Midwinter in UK?

If you're in the UK this narrows the possibilities considerably.

I saw your other post, watsonia similar but wrong flower shape, have
you tried schizostylus major in google images

I do appreciate your time and patience.

We're enjoying it

If you are in UK it could be schizostylis. Mine had a red bud showing
before the snow, and the stem has grown but been pressed down by the
snow. Still showing a red bud at the top of the stem and more to come
lower down. Does this sound like "yours"?

Pam in Bristol