Old 18-01-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger & Barbara Tonkin Roger & Barbara Tonkin is offline

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

The message
from Martin contains these words:

There was no mention of the producers whose products do meet supermarket
standards.

Surely that was where they started, with the producer that was having to
plough the broccoli back because it did not fit the supermarkets
guidelines

I find it interesting that in most supermarkets, its the fruit and veg
that hits you first, just inside the door. My marketing nouse tells me
that the first port of call is likely to be one of the biggest profit
margin items - "get the punters while they're not really thinking about
it - Oh I'm not sure if I need any spuds, so I'll buy some just in
case!"

Then of course there's the waste from the public! One chap said that
there a

Sell by:
Use by:
Best befo

plus other dates, and that no one really understands them all. Plus many
people throw away stuff they used some of, because they can think about
using it again a few days later. It is interesting that Aldi do not put
dates on the fruit and veg, it becomes obvious when its not as its best!

Roger T