Old 18-01-2010, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default I have this plot

On 2010-01-17 23:43:34 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Tommy" wrote in message
On 17 Jan, 21:57, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Down in the village, a mile and a half away. It's 1640 sq yards and I
used
to keep milk goats on it until they passed away of old age.
My local council want me to lease it to them for allotments, but I'm not
keen as they want a 10 year minimum lease and I had plans for growing
stuff
on it myself when I retire (which will be during that 10 year period.) I
just don't have time atm with working and having 1/4 acre here that is
getting away from me.
I had this brilliant idea. Or is it? There is such a demand for
allotments
here that the council cannot fulfil, that I could mark it out in plots
and
let it on a crop sharing basis. It has a water tap and is well fenced
with
6 ft high gate with a key lock, not a padlock.
Thus getting veggies for myself with no effort!
Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has?
What does the team think?

Tina
P.S. Nothing chemical has been put on this land since I bought it 25+
years
ago, so it would be totally organic.

Possibly room for 36 twenty foot by twenty foot plots. Not guaranteed
to stay totally organic if you let them out individually.
------
Oh yes, it would be. It would be a condition of tenancy.

I suspect the council might refuse permission if they have their beady
eyes on it. ;-)

Ah, as it happens where I live is a small council, which is overseen by the
bigger county one - which I happen to work for, so they could not pull rank
on me ;-)
It would be unethical for them do so, anyway, and they would know this.

Is there nothing you can grow there yourself that
won't require constant attention and weeding etc. - mini-Christmas trees?!

Aw, no. I fancy the idea of letting others cultivate it and getting a crop
share.
I just don't have the time, I work 5/7 and the rest is taken up with what I
have here.

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.