Old 18-01-2010, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:10:50 +0100, Martin wrote:

Once you have had bad food poisoning you tend to think twice about using
reheated leftovers.

You can go an awful long time without food poisoning - about 48 years in
my case. And that's not by observing sell by/use by/best buy dates.

I read the OPs post to mean people bought the ingredients for a dish,
in the supermarket prepacked quantities, use the amount they need for
the dish and bin the rest.

I'm trying to educate my son at the moment. He cooks well from a recipe,
but doesn't yet have the knowledge and confidence to make up his own
recipes, and you need to be able to do that to use left-overs. So far I
have just got him trained to leave me all the bits, even if he thinks
he's taken everything that is edible.

We generate one small worktop compost bin of food waste/week, that
includes the things that occasionally make a bid for freedom from the
fridge or vegetable store. The average household thows out about
1/3rd of the food coming in, edible and inedible (peelings, skins
etc). I don't know how such households manage to chuck out so much.

The statistic includes such things as banana skins and used tea bags.
That explains some of it!

--
Kay