Old 18-01-2010, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:55:25 +0000, K wrote:

The statistic includes such things as banana skins and used tea bags.
That explains some of it!

I was including the inedible skins and the stuff that hasn't been
consumed before becoming a new life form in our small bin/week
amount. No way is that 1/3rd of all the food coming in for family of
four/week. It's rarely full and has several inches of paper shredings
in the bottom as well.

If the average is 1/3rd there must be a lot of people binning 1/3rd
of their food.

I remember seeing somewhere the statistic for food produced that ended
up being eaten. I took that together with the '1/3 wasted by the
consumer' statistic and did the sums, and it came out that half of all
food was wasted before it even got to the consumer.

--
Kay