Old 19-01-2010, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

K wrote:
Paul Luton writes
On 18/01/2010 13:23, Broadback wrote:
Watching countryside on TV last night I was struck by the waste of
vegetables grown for supermarkets. If my Purple Sprouting broccoli was
as good as that that was plough back in I would be very happy indeed.

Much as I like the self-service aspect of supermarket vegetables, I
can see that if they put good and less-good in a box the less-good
will get left behind (and rapidly deteriorate). Not easy to have two
boxes at different prices when the check-out staff have to distinguish
them.

My own PSB will be pathetic this year - didn't have space to plant
them out early enough.

They can bag up the bad ones, in the same way that they currently bag up
and discount the old ones. But it'd have to be a big discount.

2 point from previous posts. First I used to go to a local farmers shop,
thinking that it was all local grown fresh produce. One morning I had to
go to work very early, passing the farm shop I saw a local merchant
delivering produce. Secondly as regards home cooking, it is rather like
knitting a dying practice. My daughter cooks a lot, when the (birthdays
and such) occasion calls for taking cakes to work she bakes her own to
take in. All her friends and colleagues are gob smacked, and almost
fight over them.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.