Old 19-01-2010, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:24:53 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

So have the suppliers been banned from selling their broccoli from the
door or even pick your own! Surely they could sell the remainder to
organic box companies or even put a note in the local paper!

Can only sell to organic box suppliers if the produce *is* organic.
Unless you are suggesting that they don't bother with such a minor
detail?

I believe that some of the conditions that the supermarkets impose
are effectively that, sell to us or plough back in, you can't sell to
anyone else, even into the livestock feed market or at the road side.
Along with the we contracted you for for £150/tonne 9 months ago but
the market has changed and we can only get 70% markup now instead of
90%, so we are only going to pay you £100/tonne. It cost you
£120/tonne to produce, sorry you have contract to supply you have to
take our price or dump it.

There has been a voluntary code of practice for a while to get such
sharp practices but it's not really been taken up so an ombudsman is
being created. Wether said ombudsman has nay teeth is another
matter...

--
Cheers
Dave.