Old 19-01-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Home made pot compost.

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a good supply of well rotted compost and leaf mould. what is the
best formulae for potting compost, and it is desirable to add any
fertilisers?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

It surely depends on what you're intending to grow or plant in it. For
seeds, you may have to sterilise it - I remember my father doing that. For
bulbs you need to add some sharp sand or grit for drainage and some charcoal
to keep the compost sweet, especially if planting in containers. Bulbs
(full-sized flowering-size bulbs, that is) carry their own food supply for
that flowering season. After flowering, you would need to feed to help
build up the bulb again. For large plants (ie small trees and shrubs), you
will need to add loam/top soil for stability. It would also be a good idea
to do a ph test, particularly if you want to grow ericaceous or calcareous
plants (acid-lovers and lime-lovers, respectively) in it. Subject to ph
value, I should think most woodland plants would love it. It would also be
excellent for mulching.

For seed compost, you should leave fertiliser out. Many vegetable crops
require heavy feeding. In your position, I would give priority to the
structure of the compost, taking into consideration the requirement of each
plant type. When I blend composts, the feed is the last - though
important - consideration.

Spider