Old 20-01-2010, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:04:34 GMT, RogerT wrote:

I'm reminder of the Jamie Oliver programme some while back, highlighting
he fact that there are families who, having roasted a chicken for Sunday
lunch, carve off what hey want from the breast then bin the rest!

I can believe it. When I was a lad and we had chicken there wasn't
much left other than bones. When I ate such things I didn't like the
breast, much prefered the leg or wing but there isn't much on a wing.
What was left was put ina pot with some veggies and seasoning and
simmered for a few hours to get a nice chicken stock.

Bring back domestic science lessons I say!

They still have them and do the basics but I don't think they do much
in the way of actually managing a domestic kitchen, the food and
"waste". Being a lad at school in the early 70's we did wood or metal
work when the girls did Domestic Science all the same I don't waste
anything in the kitchen. It's not what you do, it's not what my
mother did. She didn't directly teach me and I'm no where near as
good as she was in making use of scraps, it's just what you do.

--
Cheers
Dave.