Old 20-01-2010, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

RogerT writes

I'm reminder of the Jamie Oliver programme some while back, highlighting
he fact that there are families who, having roasted a chicken for Sunday
lunch, carve off what hey want from the breast then bin the rest!

Bring back domestic science lessons I say!

I learnt far more from my mother than from domestic science lessons. The
problem nowadays is that we've been through a period where many people
have been far shorter of time than of money, and convenience foods are a
boon. So the slower methods of preparation have been pushed into the
background, and the continuity of passing on skills has been lost.

It'll change. Just as people are re-discovering vegetable gardening,
they'll re-discover cooking and having control over what goes into their
food, and start re-learning the skills
--
Kay