Old 21-01-2010, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans.

In article ,
Spider wrote:

"jamps" wrote in message
Last year I grew very successfully, and for the first time, runner beans.
I was disappointed with the lack of flavour and wondered which, in your
opinion, have the best flavour.

My favourite is 'Enorma'.

Modernist! I tend to grow Polestar :-) More seriously, I don't find
that there's all that much difference, and the key is to pick them
before they start to go lighter in colour and less 'furry'. It's
hard to describe, but fairly easy to see, and typically happens at
c. 3/4" in width.

Dried, ripened runners are good, too, and make excellent winter fare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.