Old 21-01-2010, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Runner Beans.

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , Spider
writes

"jamps" wrote in message
Last year I grew very successfully, and for the first time, runner
beans.
I was disappointed with the lack of flavour and wondered which, in your
opinion, have the best flavour.
--
Jamps.

My favourite is 'Enorma'.

Spider

Mine too! But don't leave them hanging too long. Nine - ten ins. just
about perfect, usually. Never really tried to freeze them - do they freeze
well? And if they do, is the taste affected? They come in such abundance
that I usually give them away by the bag load and it seems such a waste
not to put them to good use.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Yes, they certainly freeze well. We've frozen them both blanched and
unblanched, and found it doesn't make a lot of difference, although we don't
keep them beyond a few months. I don't feel that the flavour is
significantly altered, though it's important not to store them next to
anything strong-flavoured. I used to be served home-grown runners by my
m-i-l when visiting, and they always tasted of gooseberries :~(.

Spider