Old 23-01-2010, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default OK to bury cat droppings?

"graham" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

As far as I am aware human faeces are used as fertiliser in this country
after suitable treatment.

Google gives http://orgprints.org/8477/1/njf4.pdf which claims 30-40% of
sewage sludge is used as fertiliser in Nordic countries.

Also
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ser-crops.html.

I am pretty sure they used to use it (and may still) around Suffolk.

It is treated to destroy pathogens, though, so I wouldn't use cat crap as
the main source of fertiliser for your slad crops :-)

I remember a large dump of it on the old Ipswich Airport. It was an
excellet source of tomato plants!
Graham

I'm always surprised there isn't a good crop of maize too.
Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes in.
Tina

signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

http://www.eset.com