Old 23-01-2010, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Naga Jolokia Naga Jolokia is offline

Default Herbs and Deer

Glenn Lynn wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:53:21 -0500, brooklyn1
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:06:05 -0500, wrote:

brooklyn1 writes:

I truly hope you didn't set
your wooden posts in concrete (sure looks like you did), the concrete
will hold water in the posts and they will rot within less than half
the time they would have set directly into the ground... you can set
metal posts in concrete but never wood (if you're conce. . . . Also if you live where
the ground freezes wooden posts set into concrete are much more prone
to heave. ..... Who advised you to set your nice
wooden posts in concrete?

I don't know where you got your information about wooden posts, but
what you say and what actually happens are two different things. I
have been using wooden post set in concrete for y e a r s (at least
45) and none of the things you mentioned ever happened. If yours are
heaving from frost, you probably did not set them correctly. You
know, I hope, that you set the concrete below the surface level of the
ground so they don't heave.

Glenn Lynn

that's true. i set my treated wood posts into concrete and they still
seem fine after about 7 years now. there is no sign that they are
deteriorating yet. i also set the concrete a little bit above ground to
keep water from collecting around the post. but since i am in zone 7b,
i don't have to worry much about heaving.