Old 23-01-2010, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Wild garlic

Bill Grey wrote:
"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be the
best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Do you mean, plant while they're growing or plant while they're dormant?

I've never tried planting them, though I have tried moving a few plants.
My observations are a) they grow very deep, from memory more than 6 inches
down b) they're keen self-seeders, so you wouldn't need to plant them very
densely.
--
Kay

Allium Ursinum (wild garlic) certainly spreads like mad and soon we'll be
able to detect it'ss distinctive scent especially alongside waterways, river
banks and the like. I don't know about propagating it, but I would have
thought bulbs would be the answer.

Does anyone have any recipes in which wild garlic can be used to advantage:
I dod oncespoke to a chef, asking what I could put wild garlic in - he said
"The compost heap" .

He wasn't a chef, then.

Whatever you'd use chives for, but more so. Casseroles, adding leaves
and/or bulbs (sparingly) to stir-fry, placing inside an onion inside a
chicken when you roast it - the uses are endless, and IMO, much nicer
than garlic.

(Not really wild garlic - a different species.)

--
Rusty