Old 24-01-2010, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Part_No Part_No is offline

Default OK to bury cat droppings?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Part_No" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Chris" wrote
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?
Would it be OK under apple trees or gooseberry bushes?

I can't see why not, had an allotment where a neighbour had dozens
of cats and we didn't have a problem. Bury it deep enough so you and
others don't accidentally handle it.
There are possible risks from faeces, horse manure is the biggest
vector of tetanus, but normal sensible hygiene is all that is
required. If you think about it, any risk can't be any worse than
the daily cleaning out of a litter tray.

Cat droppings are the PAIN OF MY LIFE in my garden.

Why??? Birds, insects, small animals constantly foul your garden so
why pick on cats, they at least normally bury their poo and there is a
bonus in that they do something about other pests. (mice, rats,
pigeons...) God forbid you get a fox with cubs in your garden, from
experience on our allotment, they really do know how to destroy stuff.

My next door neighbour's Budgie does not foul my garden---why?(it's
caged)
I can control vermin ie: kill rats,mice,pigeons etc. legally but not a
cat because it is someones 'property'
I don't want cat poo buried in my garden-simple as that-. My kids get it
on their hands and clothes when they try to grow vegetables flowers etc:

I have made a few frames covered with netting to stop them pooing on
my freshly dug ground, and it works, but at sowing time I don't have
enough of them.
If I made enough for all of my areas I would be continually shifting
them, one at a time, for every move I make.

What's wrong with them pooing on your ground, just ignore it.

Read above please

Lazy cat owners should be made to account for their furry pets poos.

As a cat owner I don't understand what is lazy about an owner allowing
their cat out.
I have one, now elderly pedigree cat (19.5), who has never pood
outside, she has always used a tray, even come in to use it, the
other is a young stray and lived feral for a while (under our BBQ) and
he won't consider a tray even though we have constantly tried to
encourage him too.

Cat owners in my opinion own them, and a lazy bunch generally because
they don't need to take them for a walk or they think they as owners are
not responsible for them, but thet ARE responsible for them

Part of the problem is breeders that allow non-pedigree kittens to be
sold/given away before they are 12 weeks old. The organisation in
charge of Pedigree Cats insists they have to be. By that time the
mother will have house trained them and taught them to use a tray and
it will stay with them for life as it has all our pedigree cats.

Perhaps you could start a petition for a new law on that topic. 12
weeks minimum before they leave their mother.

I could not care less about how old they are at any stage in their lives
or when the leave the mother......that is up to the owner who may be
responsible or (usually) otherwise.

I wouldn't hurt a cat or any animal, but the owners!!!!

Cats should be on leads in my opinion as dogs are.

More than a bobs(shilling)worth of my opinion

Dogs and irresponsible owners of; now don't get me on that topic!!!
:-)

Dogs and irresponsible owners of.
You can report the owners and if you have proof of anything illegal then
there are laws to stop/prevent it.(but not cat owners..they are special)