Old 24-01-2010, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Hello All :)

On Jan 24, 11:20*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I'm new here and have been looking for just such a group as this to
discuss vegetable gardening. *I'm a 61 year young male who lives in
central Pennsylvania. *Last season I decided to grow some tomato plants..
Didn't know much about it though. *Just dug some holes right through the
sod in my back yard about 10" in diameter each and planted (14) plants.
I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise, *they done really well
especially the Jet Star plants. *Needless to say, *this got me hooked on
gardening big time! *I've been digging up sod every chance I get. *Sure
is a back breaking job *By this spring I hope to have about 175 sq.
ft. of planting rows dug each being 30" wide. *I even ordered 35
asparagus crowns and plan to start a bed. *If possible I'd like to try
and grow all the vegetables I enjoy eating. *The bug bit me hard. *I got
a Tumbleweed composter, grow lights and heat mat for starting seeds and
lot's of different seeds from the net. *I plan to grow tomatoes (all
kinds including heirlooms) leaf lettuce, sweet bell peppers, eggplants,
cauliflower, parsley, copra storage onions, ground cherries, turnips and
cantaloupes. *The wife say's: that's enough so it looks like I have to
stop now! *LOL *My soil is clay so I been digging in lot's of shredded
leaves from last fall and also some home made compost. *I may also mix
in a bit of dry bagged cow manure and some bagged garden soil. *Any
hints or tips on any of the veggies I'll be growing will be much
appreciated *........... Rich From PA

Hello and welcome ! Good for you having a good tomato crop, I know a
lot of people in the North that had awful luck.
What No Zucchini or Yellow Squash?? Peppers take forever to get
started so if you haven't planted seeds yet you might want to soon. I
grew Eggplant last year and decided that I really don't like it. What
is a "ground cherry"? Leaf lettuce doesn't mind cooler temperatures so
you might be able to start it before the recommended date.

If you have a local Cooperative Extension office they may do soil also
have a Master Gardening program and those folks are very helpful with
pretty much any question you may have. I am currently working with my
office to get a class started so that I can become a "Master".

MJ