Old 18-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Chris

Default Help my friend diagnose bamboo problem

(Dolchas) wrote in message . com...

If this is a running bamboo, it is becoming shooting season and as
bamboo is about to shoot, it starts to look like it is dying. The
leaves yellow and brown, then once the shoots come up they cycle
through the leaves. If it is a clumper, the Vulgaris family is
cycling through the leaves right now in so cal.

His description of it as a "bush" leads me to believe it is a runner
that has been topped quite a bit. If he doesn't know what type it is,
you can look in the pot, if you see rhizome popping up and down and
circling the pot it is a runner, in so cal it is most likely Golden
Bamboo (Phylostachys Aurea). It will also try to get out of the pot,
it is VERY obvious. Also, what kind of branching does it have? At
each node is there one branch, two branches, multiple branches?

Yellowing can also be from over watering. Like Mary Ann said, they
don't swim :-). Keep the soil damp, not wet.

If you can get some images of the bamboo it will help.

Chris
Chino,CA