Old 25-01-2010, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Herbs and Deer

Bill who putters wrote in news:b2forewagner-
:

I was thinking a 4 foot fence with a few dogs.

well, then you have dogs in the garden. that's not ideal either. my
dogs like to dig nice cool pits to nap in, for instance, & they never
look at plant labels...
and it depends on the dog. my Malamute (a breed known for it's
strong prey drive) only chases coyotes. he'll sit and watch the
squirrels eating at the feeders in his yard. they can be a foot from
his nose & he just watches. when he's loose in the pasture, he runs
down to the llamas, stands there for a minute, then totally ignores
them (but then, dogs do learn that sometimes weird other creatures
are part of their pack). he is afraid of the goats. i suspect deer
fall into the "looks like a llama, ignore it" catagory by association
though.
Kirby is too old to chase anything, Scout is like Chief in not
chasing other animals (he's never even chased the chickens). my son's
Boston Terrier, OTOH, might... she's not allowed loose in the pasture
because she does annoy the llamas, & she *will* get herself stomped
one of these days. fearless is bad when combined with brainless.
dumbest dog i've ever met (& i thought Kirby was dumb when we adopted
him. he's a genius compared to Peanut!)
lee