Old 26-01-2010, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Hello All :)

On Jan 24, 8:20*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I'm new here and have been looking for just such a group as this to
discuss vegetable gardening. *I'm a 61 year young male who lives in
central Pennsylvania. *Last season I decided to grow some tomato plants..
Didn't know much about it though. *Just dug some holes right through the
sod in my back yard about 10" in diameter each and planted (14) plants.
I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise, *they done really well
especially the Jet Star plants. *Needless to say, *this got me hooked on
gardening big time! *I've been digging up sod every chance I get. *Sure
is a back breaking job *By this spring I hope to have about 175 sq.
ft. of planting rows dug each being 30" wide. *I even ordered 35
asparagus crowns and plan to start a bed. *If possible I'd like to try
and grow all the vegetables I enjoy eating. *The bug bit me hard. *I got
a Tumbleweed composter, grow lights and heat mat for starting seeds and
lot's of different seeds from the net. *I plan to grow tomatoes (all
kinds including heirlooms) leaf lettuce, sweet bell peppers, eggplants,
cauliflower, parsley, copra storage onions, ground cherries, turnips and
cantaloupes. *The wife say's: that's enough so it looks like I have to
stop now! *LOL *My soil is clay so I been digging in lot's of shredded
leaves from last fall and also some home made compost. *I may also mix
in a bit of dry bagged cow manure and some bagged garden soil. *Any
hints or tips on any of the veggies I'll be growing will be much
appreciated *........... Rich From PA

It's always wonderful to welcome a new gardener to the most rewarding
"hobby" (of course it's more than that!) in the world.

I'm in So. Calif coastal, which is adobe (clay) but fortunately the
people I bought from umpty years ago had modified the soil,
which I have continued to do. I'