Old 26-01-2010, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Hello All :)

EVP MAN wrote:
I'm new here and have been looking for just such a group as this to
discuss vegetable gardening. I'm a 61 year young male who lives in
central Pennsylvania. Last season I decided to grow some tomato
plants. Didn't know much about it though. Just dug some holes right
through the sod in my back yard about 10" in diameter each and
planted (14) plants. I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise,
they done really well especially the Jet Star plants. Needless to
say, this got me hooked on gardening big time! I've been digging up
sod every chance I get. Sure is a back breaking job By this
spring I hope to have about 175 sq. ft. of planting rows dug each
being 30" wide. I even ordered 35 asparagus crowns and plan to start
a bed. If possible I'd like to try and grow all the vegetables I
enjoy eating. The bug bit me hard. I got a Tumbleweed composter,
grow lights and heat mat for starting seeds and lot's of different
seeds from the net. I plan to grow tomatoes (all kinds including
heirlooms) leaf lettuce, sweet bell peppers, eggplants, cauliflower,
parsley, copra storage onions, ground cherries, turnips and
cantaloupes. The wife say's: that's enough so it looks like I have
to stop now! LOL My soil is clay so I been digging in lot's of
shredded leaves from last fall and also some home made compost. I
may also mix in a bit of dry bagged cow manure and some bagged garden
soil. Any hints or tips on any of the veggies I'll be growing will
be much appreciated ........... Rich From PA

A couple of my esentials to plant:

Basil - for freezer pesto - excellent for qui8ck delicious meals all winter.
Edible pod peas - One of the best grazing crops around.