Old 26-01-2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Hello All :)

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

Two good books that you can get from your library a
"How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...=search-alias%
3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb.../dp/0881927775
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1

Teaming with Microbes is important in understanding what is happening in
the soil, e.g.:
Chapter 1

Hmmm ...

The Book "Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis" Is an excellent book, however it is
in my opinion, not for the beginning type of garden book, unless you
have a scientific mind.

For a more down to earth book, I'll go with:
"The Vegetable Gardener's BIBLE by Smith"
A newer version comes out in February.

Sorry Billy

Enjoy Life... Dan

"Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
is a good book and I use it often, but I have never seen another book
that explains soil as well as "Teaming with Microbes". I think most
people have a handle on worms, bacteria, and fungi. It shouldn't be too
much of a stretch to look-up protozoa and nematodes. The main concepts
are the living nature of the soil, the cost of killing that community of
organisms, and how that community of organism is only supported by
organic gardening.

Jeff Lowenfels has been writing a garden column since 1976. Newspapers
typically write for some one with a 12 year old mentality, so I don't
think the book is too challenging. If it proves too difficult, you may
want to try
City Green (Hardcover) by Dyanne Disalvo-ryan
http://www.amazon.com/City-Green-Dya...812786X/ref=sr
_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264474197&sr=1-1.

;O)

Hmmm....

How many books do you have Wild Billy?
Books are an addiction Amazon.com loves me

I have about 1,200 books in my library. Average cost $25 per book.
That about $30,000 in books. I have read 3/4 of them. I keep asking
myself: Does that make smart or stupid?

Latest books I have purchased:
On Gardening, 2 months ago
Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
ISBN-10: 1603580298. A very interesting book on design.

On Cooking, 1 month ago
Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed
ISBN-10: 0688102298. For the scientific mind
and
Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen: Capturing the Vibrant flavors of a
World-Class Cuisine. SBN-10: 0684800063. I like it!

On Computers, last week
PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide
ISBN-10: 032152599X. On Chapter 3, So far so good.
"David E. Ross" knows about this one.

PATHETIC! Is it not!

Enjoy Life... Dan

--